Day 8
Jay and I went to Bleu last night for the Abstraction reunion thing, which seemed appropriate at the time since that is where our awesome friendship began. We were having about as much fun as we look like we're having in this photo. We sat on a couch in the corner and talked about life, love, fate, and other such profound topics. We left a little after midnight.
As we were leaving, I was tipsy enough to attempt civility with my ex. I felt like it was the right thing to do. There's no need to make things more awkward than they need to be, and actively ignoring each other only breeds hostility. So I put my hand gently on his back and said goodnight. Was I ever in for a surprise when he turned around, gave me a hug, and made his usual parting joke. I was so floored, in fact, that I messed up my usual retort, and he was nice enough to not call me out on the fact that my response didn't make any sense.
We never worked as a couple. We never would have worked, even if we both wanted to put in the effort. But it's nice to know we don't have to be immature, hostile, or rude about it.

His reaction to you being at the club was a lot better than last time. I'm glad he was able to be civil.
ReplyDelete