January 3, 2011

Beauty parlor

Day 3

Twenty-six minutes. That is, on average, how long it takes me to straighten my hair. Of course, the longer my hair is, the longer it takes. And it is my goal to grow out my hair this year, so I figure by year's end, it will take me close to an hour, if not longer.

My hair is naturally neither curly nor straight - it's poofy. While incredibly annoying, this gives me the freedom to either put mousse in my hair and let it dry curly - the lazy way - or to straighten it, which takes 26 valuable minutes out of my evening. For someone who already feels like she doesn't have enough time in her life, this is not cool. Unfortunately, I feel my hair looks best straight, and so, I sacrifice my time and energy on this tedious task.

I don't want to think about how much of my life I have already wasted straightening my hair, and it scares me how much time I have yet to waste on this activity. But that will not for a second stop me.

3 comments:

  1. Did you dye your hair or anything like that when you were younger to make it poofy? My sisters used the blow dryer too much and it messed up their hair a little bit, my one sister also used to use a wad of gel. I always just let my hair dry naturally and I only wash it every other day, it gets kind of poofy days but for the most part it's pretty good and naturally straight. Hope it doesn't take you too long to straighten once you grow it out more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you ever considered the Japanese straightening? It takes five hours but it last for a long time. Might be worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had the perm from hell. I don't like admitting to having a perm - but I totally had one. And I think it f'ed up my hair for the rest of my life.

    I have considered the Japanese straightening, but then you have to constantly get the roots touched up, I think. It's bad enough that I have to dye my hair - I don't think I need to add to the damage.

    ReplyDelete