When Frank and I walked in to The Humane Society of Tampa Bay back in September, I knew I wanted a kitten. After my cats had been stolen out from under me, which is another story in itself, I knew I would need a new little feline companion.
The moment I walked through the door, I saw her. There was a cage sitting right at the front entrance with two small kittens in it. The little striped one with the white paws was sitting on the top level, and she looked at me with the sweetest greenish-yellow eyes. I think that was the moment I fell in love. According to the card attached to her cage, her name was Posey and she was about 2 months old.
We walked through the whole place, and looked at probably every animal there. Kittens, cats, puppies, dogs... we saw them all. I was tempted to take home the whole place, as I usually am in those situations, but my apartment was only 805 square feet. The last thing I need is to end up on an episode of Animal Hoarders. And no matter how many adorable kittens I saw, I kept going back to that one tiny kitten named Posey.
I filled out all the paperwork and waited until they called us into a small room to play with my new kitten. After a few minutes, I looked up and said, "I think this is the one."
I ran through every possible name - several times - and still couldn't decide what to name her. She was known simply as "Miss Kitty" for a couple of weeks until one night, she jumped at me as I was walking down the hallway and bit me in the knee. "You are a lunatic!" I cried out, at which point she ran away and hid under the stove. I stopped in my tracks as what I'd just said processed, and I turned back to look at her little face sticking out from under the stove, looking at me sheepishly. "Luna..."
Even though we have our differences - mostly due to the fact that I think she's actually some kind of demon - I love my little Lu. She has been my constant companion through some of the loneliest months of my life. She purrs when I come home and cuddles with me when I'm sad. She kicks her little legs out when she trots up to me, and she walks around trilling. She loves to chase things and climb... and BITE. She can be seriously evil, but maybe that's just part of her charm. She has a hell of an attitude, but a good heart.
That's my girl.
I'm glad you were able to find a cat that brings you a lot of joy. It was unfair that someone took that away from you last time.
ReplyDelete