August 23, 2011

What's shakin'?

Day 235

There was an earthquake today. No, seriously, an earthquake. I've been through many serious thunderstorms in my day, a handful of hurricanes, and 3 tornadoes, but I was certainly ill prepared for a freaking earthquake!

I thought at first they were doing some construction work downstairs that would cause the rumbling, but then it got worse, and when the entire building started swaying, I knew there was a serious problem. I wondered for a moment if I was having a panic attack, which does sometimes make me dizzy, but then other people started buzzing about it, running out of their offices to congregate by the printer, which is apparently just where you go when there's an emergency. It's as good a place as any, I suppose. If the building goes, it goes. Nobody's making it downstairs. We were all so shocked for a moment that we just stood there talking about what the hell just occurred before someone pointed out that we should turn on the TV. I was so freaked out that I did not remember the fact that there is a huge flat screen mounted right above my desk. It wasn't even on the news yet, and I stood there with my heart pounding, forcing myself to breathe and try to stop shaking.

Finally, "Breaking News" came up on the screen - a 5.9 earthquake in Virginia that was felt all the way up here in New York, and even further north. That truly scares me.

I thought back to the "earthquake" prompt I wrote on LiveJournal years ago. I didn't really know what I was talking about, as I had never been through an earthquake before, but I actually think I wrote it quite accurately. I wish I still didn't have a clue. Ignorance is truly bliss.

I always roll my eyes at the crazy "2012!" people, but today's events made me stop and think for a moment. Then I rolled my eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment