June 16, 2011

Murphy's Law

Day 167

I look like a dejected ferret in this picture. Why do I look so defeated and blah, you may ask? I'll tell you.

I can't be on time. Ever. I have tried my hardest, and punctuality is simply not my forte. I run on "Culver time," which was my grandmother's reference to the fact that my grandfather was perpetually late. She even went so far as to start telling him that events began a half hour earlier than they actually did so he would get there on time. When I tell myself it isn't so much tardiness as it is carrying on Grandpa's legacy, I usually don't feel so bad about it. Not so much today.

I was running late. Later than late. I sent Mat a text message to inform him of said lateness, and he said not to worry about it because he wouldn't be in until noon anyway. Aces. Unbeknownst to me, at the office, Damien needed something printed from the color printer for the client meeting he was rushing to get ready for. I am the only one with a color printer; it seemed to make sense since I so often print out the marketing materials I create. That means that when anyone else in the office needs something printed in color, they come to me. Usually not a problem. Except when I'm not there.

When I got to the office, I discovered that Damien had signed onto my computer with his login and printed what he needed himself. So on top of the guilt over being late, now I felt guilty for disappointing Damien. And I couldn't even apologize right away because he had taken off to his meeting.

I tried to just go about my day when I ran smack into the next problem. I couldn't log onto my computer. The user name and password that I've used for the past 3 months apparently didn't feel like working today. Good thing I had my laptop, or I'd have been totally screwed. However, I did need some things from my desktop computer that I couldn't access, and it drove me totally nuts. And the IT guy wasn't there today. Wonderful.

So I did what I always do when things aren't going my way. I text messaged Clem: "Can I go home?"

No comments:

Post a Comment