June 12, 2011

I know there's fish out there but where God only knows

Day 163

I admit I wasn't overly thrilled when I learned that Uncle Bob's 70th birthday party would be spent on a fishing boat. I figured I would park myself on the deck somewhere sunny, nurse a beer and get a tan. I should have known better, because with my family, no matter what we do is an absolute blast.

I was having a fun time, talking with my family and bopping to the great tunes Aunt Karen had picked, and when we stopped for the first round of fishing, I figured I'd give it a go. I hadn't fished since our trip to St. Thomas way back in the day. It wasn't long before my competitive nature kicked itself into gear. I had to catch some fish - they would not get the best of this little lady!

I didn't catch the biggest fish, nor did I win the pool for the first one to puke, but I did catch the only crab of the day. A little crab grabbed onto my bait and held on all the way to the surface. The boat dude (likely the captain, but I'm not sure) said that it was a girl crab, and she was pregnant. Hormones and hunger make you do silly things like hold onto food that is clearly taking you to places you don't want to go. After snapping some pictures, we threw her back. I wish her the best of luck with her new family. Having kids isn't easy, and it must be much harder when they have claws. After we threw Miss Crab safely back into the water, I turned to my mom and smiled. "Grandpa's here," I said.

She smiled back at me. "Yes, he is."

I was actually a little disappointed when the fishing trip was over. I really had a wonderful day with my family, and I know Uncle Bob truly enjoyed his birthday celebration. My fam is the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment